New South Wales inspection Blue slips/pink slips laws

by Andrew Automoto22. November 2013 11:44

In New South Wales, there are so many different coloured types of slips that it can get very confusing. Well let me clear it up for you right now. A Blue Slip and a Pink Slip are the only two coloured slips you need when it comes to roadworthiness. A white slip is only issued if during your blue or pink slip inspection your car is found to have roadworthy defects, and a green slip is a form you need to fill out after your receive your blue or pink slip for the registration. Now to clarify the Pink and Blue slips:

The Pink Slip, now known as an “e-safety check”: This is an annual inspection for cars over 5 year old, or if your renewal notice says “inspection required.” This check must be done before your registration can be approved. This will look at your tyres, brakes, makes sure all your lights are working and check for leaks. A pink slip is not a roadworthy certificate however and if you are transferring from an interstate registration, selling your vehicle, or your registration has been expired for over 3 months you will still need to get a Blue slip.

 A pink slip is not a roadworthy, it just lets the RTA know that the car is okay to be registered. If you get a pink slip, and then get issued with a defect notice you will still need to get a blue slip. If your car fails the pink slip, you then have 14 days to have the defects repaired and bring it back for inspection to the same inspection centre so it can be issued with a pink slip at no extra charge. If it takes longer than 14days for the repairs you will need to pay for another pink slip. A pink slip is valid for 30 days from date of issue, so make sure you get your pink slip around the same time that your registration is due, otherwise you’ll need to do it all again.

The Blue Slip: A blue slip is a full inspection of your vehicle, different from a pink slip, as it checks all the components of your car, for leaks, lights, seat belts, brakes, suspension thoroughly. A blue slip also has a written off vehicle check, that identifies stolen vehicle that have been re-badged with number plates from a wrecked vehicle, a forensic vehicle identity check that identifies any vehicle and a design inspection to make sure your vehicle is up to manufactures standards.

A blue slip is required if you are selling the car without Rego, if you are re-registering your car from interstate, or if the rego has been expired for more than 3 months. A blue slip will last 28 days from when it is issued. If you don’t pass the blue slip inspection then just like the pink slip you have 14 days from when you fail the inspection to have the defects repaired and return to your local inspection centre.  

If you don’t pass your blue or pink slip your car is deemed un-registered, however you can drive the vehicle to and from the service centre to the inspection centre and home…Just make sure you have made a booking before driving to the service centre or inspection centre, and just make sure you don’t deviate from the shortest route, or you could be slapped with a fine for driving an unregistered vehicle.

For more information on your states roadworthy laws see:

- Australia Capital Territory Registration and Roadworthy laws

- Queensland Safety certificates and vehicle inspection laws

- Northern Territory registration and roadworthy laws

- South Australia Roadworthy laws

- Tasmania Road Worthy laws

- Victoria registration and roadworthy laws

- Western Australia Roadworthy laws


Or visit your local authorised service centre at